Thursday, February 11, 2010

Artist entry 1 John Dyer Baizley




Artist Entry Numero Uno (1)
John Dyer Baizley



This is my first artist entry, hope it doesn't suck. I discovered this artist by accident. I had heard this band Baroness a while ago, for some strange reason out of the blue I went to their website & saw they had a new album out, so I picked it up. When I got home I looked at the album art & I was blown away by the artwork(image up top). I looked at the credits and found out the guitarist/singer John Dyer Baizley did all their album cover artwork. So I researched online to find some more of his work.

I was instantly drawn to his work since it's so dark & gritty; I dig that kind of art. All of his work is inspired by something from a dark place, but it still has some sense of demented beauty. I love how he can take something beautiful & take it and twist it into a creepy, medieval mythological place where death is hiding behind the corner with a gigantic axe. When looking at the work you can see so much meaning behind each piece, all his pieces are littered with symbolism and contradicting ideologies. His attention to detail was amazing & the monochromatic color scheme is perfect for this type work, the shading in the color in the work makes it pop. His work truly sets him apart from most works I've seen. The same is said for his music in his band Baroness. If you listen to their music it seems like it's a direct extension from his artwork. They are both inspired by the same things. If his artwork had a soundtrack it would be his music in Baroness

After researching the limited information I could find; I found out he resides in Savannah, Georgia & attended to Rhode Island School of Design. His work is is mostly pens, water colors, inks and some computer work. His work is very underground and has a cult following, I've heard of websites where people bid competitively for his limited edition concert posters. He is also credited for creating album covers for numerous heavy metal bands. Like I said before he is an artist both visually and musically. I wish I had more information on him, I would really like to know more about him & his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment