Friday, February 19, 2010

Ellen Scott

Not sure my earlier post about Ellen Scott would be enough for required entry, it was more towards the D-Bag.

After looking over Ellen's work again, I still prefer her plexiglas & liminal (where the object is removed from the picture) work. She is a very established artist w/ credentials that span the world and the experience people can only dream of. She works in a variety of medias & dimensions. I not going to bag on her work, obviously she has an artistic eye & an unlimited imagination. I really can't say her other work is bad (Ie: her central station and harmonic videos) because she is worlds ahead of me in the knowledge & concepts of art. What is impressive is she can take a picture of a simple, meaningless moment in time & turn it into something significant; which is truly amazing. A lot of my judgement is based on my inexperience to what art is. A good example of this is in her plexiglas works. I see a group of people walking, that's it; but she sees something greater, I would have never imagined to cut an individual person out of a picture and put them in a plexiglas case. The idea is so simple, but is still powerful & changes the meaing of the image completely; it's gotta be a new idea. Her Liminal prints are also impressive for the fact that she took another simple idea and ripped away the original meaning and created an entirely new identity for the image. There is so much meaning that can be pulled from all her work, a lot of it I don;t understand quite yet. I'm not too big of a fan of her other works now, but maybe with more experience I can grasp her concepts and truly appreciate her work down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment