Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Artist entry #8/sculptor #3 Richard "The Terra" Serra





































Artist Entry #8/sculptor #3 Richard "The Terra" Serra
Richard Serra's work is pretty simple, I guess that's why they call him a minimalist. He works exclusively with sheet metal. His work is very curvilinear and he can create these amazing flowing lines with massive sheets of sheet metal. Richard creates these enormous site specific metal pieces that almost look like a metal maze. How he does it is really an art, his pieces seems like they are one solid gigantic sheet of metal. What's a little unnerving is none of his pieces are bolted down or welded to any supports. All of his pieces are free standing and use their own weight to keep them standing. I would definitely be nervous checking out one of exhibits even though they would probably never fall down.
I picked Richard's work because how many artist out there work with metal at that large of scale. The shapes and angles he can create out metal like that it awesome, I think a lot of people underestimate how difficult it is to work with metal; even trying to mold a smaller piece can be difficult but not to mention his huge installments. I have never seen metal be manipulated they way he does it; I've had a little metal work experience myself and I can appreciate how difficult it is to work with metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment