Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Artist Entry Numero 3 Alex Grey


































For this Artist entry I choose to do it an Alex Grey, I first saw his work like most people did on Tool's Lateralus Album. I thought it was real interesting; you could look at the work and tell there were so many different layers to each piece. But I was truly blown away by his work when I saw Tool live; they worked with Alex and incorporated his artwork into their stage show and turned his work into motion graphics that went across the entire stage. I had never seen images flow like this before in a concert; to me it gave you incite to what taking acid would be like and vast array of colors, the flowing lines and weird unnatural things you might see. To me it took the work to another level; It was without a doubt the best stage show and background I have ever seen, the art and the music work perfect off each other.
Alex mainly works with a variety paints and drawings, his work is very representational and complex it can take on so many meanings. His work focuses on life, death, the human body and psyche and even spirituality. He attended my different schools; but I think that Harvard Medical School is what lead him into his life and death direction of his work since he was apart on the Anatomy department. He incorporates a rainbow of colors that flow through and even create the images in his work, I think that is why people are drawn to his work. In his work he breaks humans down to their most basic form just nerves, bones and muscles; I think it is interesting because it show that's all we are and we just really live to procreate and look for some sense of existence. It is also interesting how he makes the transition from life to death so intriguing it seems as he takes us away to a cosmic reality or a journey deep into the mind and shows us what life really is. His work is so out there and out of the norm from any other artist I think that's why I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment