Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Artist Entry #27 Duane Hanson






Artist Entry #27 D-Wayne Hanson
D-Wayne was a sculptor who dealt exclusively in Super realism, some say his work was pop art, I'd have to tend to agree. He created these life size figures that are so realistic, you could easily confuse them for real people. To create these pieces he would take a plaster mold of a person and then decorated them to what they are now.
What make these pieces so interesting is he created these gruesome scenes like the motorcycle crash and unattractive people like the housewife and made amazing art out of them. He is making reality art, most people don't have perfect bodies and he wanted to show that being average can inspire art. He said about his work, "To me, resignation, emptiness and loneliness of their existence captures the true reality of life for these people....I want to achieve a certain tough realism which speaks of the fascinating idiosyncrasies of our time." When I look at his art I can relate to it more since they are average people, I think if he used only people with the perfect body shape that his work wouldn't be as effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment